SHORT COURSE: FROM FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF ROCK MECHANICS, FAULT KINEMATICS, AND PLATE TECTONICS, TO THE MODELING OF THE TECTONIC EVOLUTION OF SOUTH-EAST ASIA DURING THE LAST 40 MILLION YEARS
DATE: 22 November 2017
TIME: 0900 – 1700
Professor, Earth Observatory of Singapore
The course will consist of the following five sessions, each session lasting one hour plus, with Q&A and breaks:
- Brief summary of brittle and plastic deformation physics, based on experimental rock-mechanics. Validity over a wide range of spatial and time scales (from crystals to plates, and seconds to millions of years).
- Fault kinematics. Simple stress and strain compatibility / incompatibilities. Present-day regional examples.
- Active faulting in Asia. Plate tectonics versus continental tectonics. Heterogeneous boundary conditions. Plane strain, slip-line field theory and rigid/plastic extrusion.
- The Tertiary tectonic evolution of Asia. 50 million years of collision driven block motion and interaction. From crustal thickening to seafloor spreading, through strike-slip transfer.
- Modeling it all: from 2D plasticine indentation experiment to 3D discrete element simulations. Conclusion: observed versus imaginary processes. Integrated continent-ocean reconstruction of the tectonics of SE Asia.
Participants to this course will learn:
- How to relate small scale geological/geophysical/geochronological field observations to short and long-term regional deformation and kinematic processes.
- How to reconcile objectively and usefully tectonic processes across the continent/ocean boundary.
- How to build a self-consistent plate-scale tectonic model of South-East Asia, to guide reliably industrial exploration.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THIS COURSE?
Geologists, structural geologists, basin modelers, and in general all geoscientists interested in the tectonic evolution of South-East Asia during the last 40 million years.
This course is mostly designed for experienced geoscientists, principals, custodians, and team leaders.
*REGISTER FOR APGCE 2017 SHORT COURSES NOW!
*NOTE: Short Courses’ details are subject to change, further updates inbound as we get closer to the Event. Watch this space for further updates!